Back to Reference Guide

Model T: 1910

ENGINE SERIAL NUMBERS:14,162 to 34,901 approx. calendar year. 8,101 to 31,500 approx. model year. (Ford called cars built after July 1909 “1910” cars but they were not changed from the 1909 models. The 1910 model year ran from August 1, 1909 to September 30, 1910.)

MODEL YEAR DATES: August 1, 1909 to November 1910, approximately.

Note: Ford referred to the cars built after August 1, 1909 as “1910” cars but common usage today is to call the cars built within calendar year 1909 “1909” models.

 

MAJOR MODEL YEAR FEATURES: Refer to component descriptions for details.
The major change was the addition of the roller pinion bearing on the driveshaft and modifications to the rear axle.
Body styles generally continued those of 1909.

BODY TYPES: Touring, Tourabout, Runabout, Landaulet, Town Car, Coupe. Bodies supplied by several manufacturers. Wood panels over a wood framework. Basically unchanged from the 1909 styles except that the Coupe was slightly larger.

COLORS: All cars were painted Brewster Green, an all-but-black color. Fenders, aprons, running boards, chassis and running gear were also painted body color.

UPHOLSTERY: Full leather in the open cars, in a diamond-tufted pattern. The seats in the Coupe, Landaulet and Town Car were leather, with imitation leather trim on the door panels.

FENDERS: Front: Uniform width top surface, with formed splash apron area. Bill on front. Rear: Similar in style to the front. Support irons were of the “butterfly” style, the same as the later 1909 cars.

SPLASH APRON: Fairly uniform from front to rear. Cut back in a relatively straight pattern to clear the brake and radius rods.

RUNNING BOARDS: Pressed steel with embossed ribs along the length of the board, but broken up into a series of “dashes,” beginning at about number 15,000.

HOOD: Aluminum, with no louvers. Hinges were now separate from the panels, and were riveted in place. Hold-down clamps had one “ear” and were of forged steel. The steel hood former still had the “notch” on both sides that had been necessary to clear the earlier integral hood hinges.

DASHBOARD (Firewall): Wood, with brass edge trim that did not overlap the wood. Added extension piece to support the now standard windshield.

CHASSIS: Rear body supports were integral with the rear fender iron forging. Painted body color.

STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY: Brass quadrant, brass-plated spark and throttle levers, with hard rubber knobs. Gear case was brass, riveted assembly. Wheel was 14-1/4” outside diameter, wood, and painted black. The wheel spider was brass and believed to have not been painted.

FRONT AXLE: “One piece” spindles. Tie rod ran above the radius rod, had integral yoke/ball fitting on right end, and adjustable yoke, with the locking bolt in a horizontal plane (parallel to the road). Drag link threaded 20 t.p.i. at the column end. No oilers on most fittings. Radius rod fastened to the engine with cap screws.

REAR AXLE: “Six-rivet” style. Inner axle and pinion bearings were now roller bearings. A reinforcing plate was added at the driveshaft area. Thicker center flange with reinforcing washers was added at first and then a reinforcing ring on one side, then on both sides of the flange. Axle shafts were non-tapered, with the hubs being secured with a key and a pin. Roller pinion bearing was introduced at about 15,000 in March, 1910.

DRIVESHAFT HOUSING: Pinion bearing spool was a casting and was held by studs and nuts, the studs being enclosed (not visible) in the housing. Separate front housing for universal joint assembly.

REAR RADIUS AND BRAKE RODS: Had forged ends. Brake-rod support brackets now folded down along the side of the clamp, then out and wrapped up and around the brake rods.

WHEELS: Used 30 by 3 tires in front; 30 by 3-1/2 in the rear. Original tires were an off-white color, with no tread. Hub flanges were 5-1/2 inches in diameter. Front wheels used ball bearings. Hub caps had “Ford” in block letters. Continued in the style of the 1909 cars.

SPRINGS: Tapered-leaf, front and rear. “Mae West” style shackles.

RADIATOR: Supplied by Detroit, McCord, and Ford. Ford began making their own radiators about October 1909, and was the sole supplier after March or April 1910. All were integral assemblies. The winged script “Ford” on the top tank was replaced with the standard Ford script. (Possibly all Ford-made radiators used the standard script.) Radiators generally had a “Ford” brass nameplate attached to the core near the center and in a horizontal manner (not on a bias as is often seen today).

ENGINE: Open-valve type, with thermo-siphon cooling system. Water outlet was on the front of the cylinder head.

ENGINE PAN: One-piece type (no inspection door). The internal oil dam was discontinued about May 1910. A forged reinforcement was added at the rear flange during the year. The mounting arms were held with seven rivets.

OIL FILLER CAP: Similar to the 1909 but of a simpler design. Still had no cap on the tube.

 

ENGINE CRANK: Hard rubber handle.

ENGINE FAN: Driven by a leather belt from a pulley at the front of the engine. The fan hub was brass (bronze), with the blades were riveted in place. Adjustment was by means of a spring between the fan arm and the engine front plate.

MANIFOLDS: Exhaust was cast iron; pipe fitted inside the threaded end and was packed with asbestos and held with a brass nut. Intake was aluminum, “dog legged” style.

CARBURETORS: Kingston “five ball,” Holley, or a very few Buffalo. All used a choke and a heating arrangement from the exhaust manifold at the air intake.

CARBURETOR STOVE ASSEMBLY: Generally a tube which ran upwards to the front of the exhaust manifold, and connected to a cast “stove” which fitted against the manifold.

MUFFLER: Cast-iron ends, mounted with pressed metal brackets. Short, straight rear exhaust pipe extension was now integral with the rear cover plate. Wrapped with asbestos, secured with three steel straps.

FUEL TANK: Cylindrical, under the front seat. Mounting brackets were riveted to the tank. Outlet was at the right end, outside the frame rail, and was riveted in place.

TRANSMISSION: Three pedal standard-design. The brake lever now operated the clutch as well as the rear brakes. Pedals were marked with “C,” “R,” and “B.” Transmission cover was cast aluminum. The inspection door was held with four screws. Late in the year a new magneto was introduced which required a wider cover assembly.

COIL BOX ASSEMBLY: Kingston or Jacobson-Brandow.

LAMPS: All lamps were now standard except on the closed cars. Made by Edmond and Jones (E&J) or Jno. Brown.

HORN: Bulb type, double twist, all brass. Standard equipment on all cars.

WINDSHIELD: Standard equipment, were either Rands, Mezger (Automatic), or Troy.

TOP: (Open cars). Top color was black on all open cars. Support irons were attached to a forged railing on the body.

SPEEDOMETER: Stewart Model 24 was standard equipment.

 

 

1910 Changes

 

JAN

Factory Letter, Ford Archives

T-213 front spindle tie rod tubing modified after 15,000. (T-213 is the tubing part of T-2717 (T-268) tie rod.)
T-1410C running boards used after 15,000. (Not listed in any parts books; this must have been the 1910 style with the interrupted rib design.)

 

JAN 11

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T536C magneto magnet in production.

 

JAN 18

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

Model T Ford tools listed:
T1931 Valve grinding brace handle, 2 reqd. Later described as "Brace handle (small).
T1932 Valve grinding brace
T1936 Cam gear puller yoke
T1937 Cam gear puller screw
T1939 Cam gear puller assembly
T1953 Disk drum puller yoke
T1955 Disk drum puller screw
T1954 Disk drum puller assembly
T2318 3/8 T socket wrench, short
T2319 T screwdriver for camshaft screw
T2320 3/8 T socket wrench, long
T2321 L wrench for crankshaft bearing bolt
T2322 3/8 L socket wrench
T2323 3/8 open end wrench
T2324 Connecting rod clamp screw wrench
T2325 Crank turning bar
T2326 Brace socket wrench handle, 2 reqd. Later described as "Brace handle (large)
T2327 3/8 Brace socket wrench, short
T2328 3/8 brace socket wrench, long
T2329 Crank turning bar pin, 2 reqd.
T2330 Brace socket wrench handle pin, 2 reqd. Later described as "Brace handle pin (long)
T2331 Piston ring squeezer
T2332 Magnet screw brace screwdriver
T2333 Large cam gear lock nut wrench
T2334 Valve grinding brace handle, 2 reqd. Later described as Brace handle pin (short)
T2335 Cylinder head bolt L socket wrench
T2336 Flywheel cap screw wrench
The above tools proposed to be supplied to branch managers.

 

JAN 20

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T400C cylinder block. "Changed the crankshaft bearings from die cast babbitt to poured babbitt." (Earlier they had used poured babbitt but went to the die cast type. Apparently the die cast wasn’t too successful.). The cast bearings were T657, T658, and T659 (front, center, and rear).

 

JAN 27

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T536B magnet used on 18,000 cars after the first 2500.
T535B, 537A, 538A 540, 541 magnet support parts, T701A flywheel and T562A magneto assembly used on the first 20,500 cars. T535C magnet support, T536C magnet, 537B bolt, 538B spool used after the first 20,500.

 

FEB 1

Ford Times

Prices for bodies only: Coupe, $300. Town Car, $450. Runabout, $75. Touring, $125. Much emphasis on the interchangeability of bodies.
Ads show Coupe and price of an extra body, "Two cars for the price of one."

 

FEB 1

Shipping invoices, Ford Archives

First listing of "reinforced housing" (rear axle).

 

FEB 4

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

Note that T-1929 flywheel cap screw wrench is the same as T-2336, and that the T-2336 would be canceled.

FEB 8

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T-400B cylinder. "Removed 1-1/8" boss, also 1/4" pipe tap from front end of cylinder at point marked ‘A’"

 

FEB 10

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T744B Special transmission assembly. Special design to use T536B magnets with the newer magneto assembly because of a delay in shipment of the T536C magnets. Used on 3,000 cars after the first 17,500.

 

FEB 19

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T2336 (large) and T2337 (small) Presto-O-Lite tanks listed.

 

MAR

Acc. 509, July 14, 1913, Ford Archives

The babbitt driveshaft pinion bearing was used on the first 18,000 cars. (Until March 17, 1910.)

 

MAR 17

Factory invoices indicate "new magneto" for the first time, beginning with 17,985.

 

APR

Acc. 509, Letter dated January 13, 1913, Ford Archives

9/16" magnets used on the first 20,500 cars. Invoices indicate the first was 17,985, however.

 

APR 2

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T-48B rear axle, new design. T-13B differential gear, new design.

 

APR 4

Shipping invoices, Ford Archives

"New style crankcase" first listed on invoice.

 

APR 5

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T25C and T180C "Rear axle brake band housing" (L and R) are new design. T175A and B, T176A and B, T177A and B, T178, 179, and T5 brake housing parts obsoleted.

 

APR 8

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T1332 and T1333 transmission (side) pans modified. Bolt holes and slots added, replacing previous holes.

 

APR 11

Acc.575, Ford Archives

T48B rear axle (new design) noted. Old T48 now T48A.

 

APR 16

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T631 Cylinder head bolt bushing. "This part is to be used only when there is a leak around the cylinder head bolt."
T814B Crankcase rear wall. "Will replace old design not only in new production but also in making repairs."

 

APR 22

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T-1703B 60" rear axle, new design. (Replaced T-1703)

 

APR 23

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T-1E and T-2E rear axle housings. The previous T-1D and T-2D used 3/8-24 driveshaft retaining studs while the E version used 13/32-18 studs (T-183B). Otherwise the two were the same. The holes in the driveshaft pinion spool were enlarged to accommodate the 13/32" studs, and is now T-191B.

 

APR 26

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T-488B connecting rod cap. "Replace oil pocket with a boss."
Note on change in the threads of the driveshaft retaining studs from 18 to 16 TPI.

 

APR 28

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

"Since changing the tap (for the driveshaft tube flange stud) in rear axle housings from 3/8-24 to 13/32-16 does not effect the stamping drawings..." This seems to conflict with the threads listed on April 26 (above).

 

MAY 2

Acc.575, Ford Archives

T814A and B crankcase rear wall are obsoleted.

 

MAY 7

Acc. 575, #223, Ford Archives

Oil dam behind the fourth cylinder area (T-814B) is noted as no longer used, as per letter of May 2. Notes that they added a "flange reinforcement" which is probably the forging at the rear of the crankcase where the U-joint fits. Note the crankcase is T-800B.

 

MAY 10

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T543B cylinder oil tube. Change length of mouth from 1/2 to 1" and width from 3/4 to 5/8". Also radius for ends from 5/16 to 1/4"

 

MAY 11

Acc. 575, #226, Ford Archives

T-807 crankcase front wall changed from pressed steel to malleable iron.

 

MAY 15

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T-488B connecting rod cap. "Remove oil boss, change radius for outside of cap from 7/8 to 29/32. The oil hole and oil groove in the babbitt was also discontinued.

 

MAY 16

Acc.575, Ford Archives

T4C rear axle coupling ring modified and specified for "1911" rear axle. The previous T4B was also modified for current production. T191B roller driveshaft bearing housing, T193B flange, T183B stud and T184B nut were also specified for the "1911" rear axle.
T1526C crankcase assembly with revised support arms (T815B) began to be used after 34,000 cars. "Change distance from underside of flange to first pair of rivets from 13/16 to 9/16. Also distance between last pair of rivet holes and bottom hole frm 3/4 to 1 inch." The flange reinforcement was eliminated and replaced with T1574 reinforcement riveted in place.
Beginning in May, many references are made to the "1911 car."

 

MAY 19

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

"1911" crankcase and radius rod ball socket new drawings. Beginning at this date there were numerous notes referring to "1911 car," including parts for the new radiator.

 

MAY 31

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T15 differential spacer, T10 and T11 differential gear case specified for "1911 cars."

 

JUN 1

Ford Times

List of stolen cars. "S/N 2080, red with black top" and "5644, green" are noted.

 

JUN 6

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T1927 commutator screwdriver. "This is to be used on the first 15,000 cars only, and is considered obsolete at this time."

 

JUN 13

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

Steering ball connecting rod (drag link) T258 "This rod is exactly the same as on the 1910 car, with the exception of the threads on both ends which is 1/2 by 13 TPI U.S.S.

 

JUN 15

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

Transmission band lining changed from Raybestos to cotton.

 

JUN 24

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T202 front axle, T203 and 204 spindles and T270 spindle arm "New design."
Changed height of "cylindrical surface" from 5/8 to 1-1/4". (Bulge are rear for radius rods?)
Also noted that the fan tension spring would be discontinued for 1911. (The spring was replaced with an adjustment screw at the same location as the old spring.)

 

JUN 25

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

"Removed pocket in T1334 hood support (on dash) for hood hinges and steering flange nuts."
Floorboard pedal and brake plates specified as changed from brass to cold rolled steel, "coppered and brass plated and polished."
T1367C and T1398C brake rod supports apparently a new design.
Engine and transmission pans were sheet iron and enameled.
T879 hand brake lever pawl lift: "Changed material from brass plate and polish to coppered brass plate and polish."

 

JUL 1

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T400B. "Added 1/16" to bottom face of head."

 

JUL 7

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T1114 "Ford" radiator name plate and attaching parts declared obsolete.

 

JUL 12

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T40 rear hub specified to be 6" instead of 5-1/2" for 1911 cars. Same for front hubs and flanges.

 

AUG 12

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

KH bodies: Name is Kelsey Horbert.

 

AUG 16

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

Following tools redesigned: T1954, 1953, disk drum puller and yoke.

 

AUG 17

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

Notes changes in location of sediment bulb on gasoline tank. This change was apparently made about this time since the notes refer to the older parts as "for repairs only."

 

AUG 26

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T1303 gasoline tank. Specified that the ends be made flat instead of spherical, and that the seams holding them be made double instead of single.

 

AUG 31

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T240 hub caps. Changed thickness of metal from 1/32 to #16 B&S. "Also changed name to our regular script."
Parts listed for new crankcase with removable inspection plate. The reinforcement (T1583) with the threaded holes to retain the cover was riveted in place.

 

SEP 20

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

Steering wheel rim for 1911 cars specified and being changed from 12-1/2 ID to 12-3/8 inches, and the thickness from 1" to 1-1/8 inches.

 

SEP 24

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T1349 hub cap wrench redesigned. T1357 carburetor adjusting rod bracket changed to oval and the number of screws from four to two for 1910 and 1911 cars.

 

OCT

Shipping invoices, Ford Archives

"1911 rear axle" noted on many invoices. This is the 6-rivet type with the reinforced flanges at the center, NOT the 12-rivet type.

 

OCT 8

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

Transmission band lining changed from cotton to 2/3 asbestos, 1/3 cotton.
Muffler tail pipe (T1213B) redesigned to have tapered end and slightly bent.
A washer (T126) was added for the flange bolts of the rear axle, along with a new T42 bolt.

 

OCT 18

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

"We have added a reinforcement flange T123 on the flanges of the housings taking the place of T126 rear axle flange washers. This change has been made in T1D and T2D housings.
Engine and transmission pans redesigned for 1911 cars. The transmission pans are T1332-1911 (L) and T1333-1911 (R).

 

OCT 25

Shipping invoices, Ford Archives

First Torpedo Runabout, an experimental sample, built on a chassis built Oct. 5, was produced. S/N 31,673.

 

OCT 26

Shipping invoices, Ford Archives

First note of "1911 metal body." (S/N 32,200)

 

OCT 28

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T656 Cylinder valve doors, T655 thumb nuts and T654 stud specified for "New cylinder."

 

NOV 1

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

Note that door sill plates (T-2570 and 2571) are to be changed from #16 to #20 B&S, and added "dull or frosted finish, with letters to be etched and blackened and exterior part to be bright polish finish."

 

NOV 8

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T1533 transmission band adjusting screw. "Instead of having the square head at the top of this screw, we are just making both sides flat, as shown in the print."

 

NOV 9

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T1513B hub brake pull rod. "This rod was formerly straight. We have made a bend at point marked A, also changed developed length from center of hole in clevis to end of rod from 54-1/4 to 54-5/16 inches."

 

NOV 30

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

Parts, such as T171-1911 (where the regular part was just T171) are now upgraded to, in this case, T171E (was T171D for 1910), A to B,B to C, etc. The "-1911" designation is discontinued.

 

DEC 1

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

New design spark plug wrench, T2306.

 

DEC

Shipping invoices, Ford Archives

"Seamed style radiator" noted on many invoices.
Green (1910?) and blue (1911?) Tourings built during December.

 

DEC 15

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T-972 worm, and T-973 sector steering parts. Blueprints indicate that these parts were never used but apparently Ford experimented with this type of steering for the Model T during 1910 and 1911, expecting it to be used on the 1911 touring and roadsters. The left-hand engine pan (T-2367) was also designed for this type steering.
Elsewhere in the Archives records are notes that worm steering, as well as cable-operated rear brakes were used on cars shipped to Germany. Worm steering parts were listed into the 1920's; perhaps through the end of Model T production.