Back to Reference Guide

Model T: 1914

ENGINE SERIAL NUMBERS: 408,348 to 656,063 calendar year. 348,736 to 670,000 approx. model year.

MODEL YEAR DATES: August 1913 to January 1915 approx.

BODY TYPES: Touring, Runabout, Town Car, and Chassis.

MAJOR MODEL YEAR FEATURES: Steel panels over wood framework (standard until 1926). Touring was similar in style to the 1913 but doors were smaller, inset in the side panels, and had rounded bottom corners, setting the style for all future Model T’s. Door handles were now inside the doors. Body panels now folded over the top edge, making the separate cover piece used in the 1913 bodies unnecessary.
   The windshield now folded to the rear with its support straps bent to clear.
   The Runabout was similar in style to the Touring. Rear turtle now had rounded corners.
   Chassis frame now had longer rear cross-member, eliminating the forged body brackets used earlier.
   The metal coil box, made by Ford, but using coils of K-W design, was standard.

COLORS: All cars were painted black, with black fenders. (Factory cost books indicate that touring bodies were painted blue until October, 1914.)

UPHOLSTERY: Imitation leather replaced all real leather. No real leather was used by the end of the year except on the front roll of the arm rest.

FENDERS: Front: Same as later 1913, with embossed bead on the apron, and across the wide part of the front fender. Had no front bill at first but the bill was reinstated before the end of the year. Rear: Similar in style to the front. Support irons were now attached to the body framing, extending out the side of the body, through a hole in the apron of the fender, and were clamped to a single plate under the fender.

SPLASH APRON: Same as 1913. Fenders and aprons were painted black.

RUNNING BOARDS: Pressed steel with embossed diamond pattern. The Ford script now ran across the board. “Made in USA” appeared on all boards.

HOOD: Aluminum, with no louvers. Hinges were separate from the panels, and riveted in place. Hold-down clamps had two “ears” and were of forged steel. Handles were forged steel.

DASHBOARD (Firewall): Wood, with flat brass edge trim. Board now mated with the body side panels.

CHASSIS: Same as later 1913 with the longer rear cross member. Painted black.

STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY: The major portion of “1914” models used the same column assembly as on the 1913 cars. The change to the “one piece” gear box apparently came late in the year, or in early 1915, with some overlap where both types were used in production. Brass-plated spark and throttle levers, with flattened metal ends. Wheel is 15” outside diameter, wood, and painted black. The wheel spider was iron and painted black.

FRONT AXLE: Same as the 1913 cars.

REAR AXLE: Cast center section, same as 1913, and with the axle tubes flared and riveted to it. This axle then continued into early 1915.

DRIVESHAFT HOUSING: Pinion bearing spool was a casting and was held by studs and nuts, the studs being enclosed (not visible) in the housing. Integral front housing for universal joint assembly replaced the “two-piece” style (apparently during late 1913).

REAR RADIUS AND BRAKE RODS: Brake rods had forged ends and the support brackets were of the type which go out and wrap down around the rods. Rear radius rods no longer had the forged forks. The fork is created by splitting the rod and flattening it.

WHEELS: Used 30 by 3 tires in front; 30 by 3-1/2 in the rear. Original tires had no tread, but tread began to appear on the rear tires. Hub flanges were 6 inches in diameter. Front wheels used ball bearings. Hub caps had “Ford” in script letters. “Made in USA” on all caps.

SPRINGS: Tapered-leaf, front and rear. “Figure eight” style shackles.

RADIATOR: Supplied by Ford with the standard Ford script. “Made in USA” on all radiators, under the Ford script.

ENGINE: Closed valve type as in 1913. Serial number above the water inlet. Press-in welch plugs replaced pipe plugs to seal the water jacket on the right side of the engine. Flat-top pistons were replaced with the beveled edge type.

ENGINE PAN: Typical “three dip” with narrow front “snout.”

OIL FILLER CAP: The mushroom-shaped cap, of brass, with six flutes and the Ford script appeared on all models. “Made in USA” added. Steel replaced brass early in the year.

ENGINE CRANK: Aluminum formed handle, painted black, initially. The steel sleeve assembled type began to be used during the early part of the year.

ENGINE FAN: Driven by a leather belt from a pulley at the front of the engine. The fan hub was brass (bronze), with the blades riveted in place. Adjustment was by means of a bolt/nut arrangement now located on the right side of the front plate and bearing against a boss on the mounting end of the fan bracket.

MANIFOLDS: Exhaust pipe flared at the manifold and was held in place with the brass nut but with no packing. Intake was aluminum, then cast iron in the same pattern, and finally the standard-design (less curved than the 1911-1913 types).

CARBURETORS: Kingston “four ball” or Holley Model G.

CARBURETOR STOVE: Several designs, all of which rose vertically at the rear of the carburetor and mated with the exhaust manifold at the rear area.

MUFFLER: Cast iron ends, mounted with brackets integral with the end castings. Exhaust pipe extension integral with the rear cover plate and no longer tapered or bent. Wrapped with asbestos, secured with three steel straps. The asbestos was no longer to be dyed black during 1914 production.

FUEL TANK: Cylindrical, under the front seat. Mounting brackets now clamped to the tank. Outlet was between the center and the right side, between the frame rails.

TRANSMISSION: Three pedal standard-design. Pedals were marked with “C,” “R,” and “B.” Transmission cover was cast aluminum, but now had reinforcements around the bolt holes at the widest part. Tapered inspection door, held with six screws. The door was a plain metal plate with no script.

COIL BOX ASSEMBLY: Ford, all metal, with one-piece flat top cover. The Ford box used the standard-size coils. The coils themselves had brass-plated tops.

 

LAMPS: Made by Edmond and Jones (E&J), Brown, Corcoran or Victor, all “black and brass.”

HORN: Bulb type, single twist. Black and brass style.

WINDSHIELD: Standard. Bottom section leaned back and top section was vertical. Painted black. Top section folded to the rear. Support brackets now had a bend to clear the top section as it was folded.

TOP: (Open cars). Top color was black on all open cars. Top irons the same as 1913.

SPEEDOMETER: Stewart Model 100, but larger than the 1913 type. Last year for speedometers as standard equipment, and a number of “Ford Specials” appeared.

TURTLE DECK (on Runabout): Similar in style to the 1913 but with rounded corners. Handles were brass but painted black.

 

1914 Changes

 

JAN 1

Ford Times

1914 cars first illustrated (but had appeared earlier).
By January of 1914 Ford was using the one-piece driveshaft. A number of modifications had been made to the rear axle in an effort to cut costs. Most of the bronze bushings had been eliminated. The outer housings continued in the style set in 1912 12-rivet type).

 

JAN 20

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

“Since we have never built any right hand control cars with worm steering gear, we have obsoleted the following worm gear parts. (Obsoleted 1-20-14).” (These were T1883-1885, T1427, T4164.)
The parts used in the LHD worm gear were:
T990 worm, T991 worm gear for 1911 Torpedo and Open Runabouts, T296 Steering ball connecting rod assembly, T5014 steering bracket block, T993 throttle lever rod, T965 steering gear bracket, T988 steering gear bracket for 1911 Torpedo and Open Runabouts, T977 throttle lever rod for repairs, T983and T989 worm steering gear assemblies (for repairs), and T4126 and T5010 worm steering gear assemblies.
T401C cylinder head redesigned with numerous changes in dimensions, thickness, etc. While the dimensions are specified, it is difficult to determine just what the reason was for the changes. Perhaps it was the revision eliminating the “lip” at the rear of the head.

 

FEB 14

Acc.575, Ford Archives

T5418. Running board. “Changed length from 44-13/16 to 44-3/4; 44-15/16 to 45 inches.” (According to another note, these dimensions were the tolerances in the dimensions.)
T543B oil tube. “Changed radius for bend at rear end of the tube from 1/2 to 3/4”. This change was made at the request of the people who are making these tubes because it is hard to make a sharp bend in the lock seam steel tubing from which these tubes are made.. Also added notes specifying sharp corners to be removed from tube at front end. This change was made to facilitate assembling of oil tube to cylinder.”

 

FEB 24

Acc.575, Ford Archives

T4378 and T4378 crankcase bottom flange reinforcement (the “U”-shaped pieces with which the bottom inspection plate is held in place) now two pieces instead of one (T1583) used earlier.
T509C breather pipe and T685 oil pipe cap changed from sheet brass to cold rolled steel (made from fender scrap).
Note that the two 1-1/4” holes needed to clear the 1913 touring body support bracket bolts were eliminated.

 

MAR 18

Ford Archives

New commutator shield used beginning with 477,165, this date.

 

MAR 21

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T4446 commutator head. specified as “Die casting and brass designs.”

 

MAR 28

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T5929 Cylinder plug. “These plugs are to be used in cylinder for cylinder head cap screws (which) strip, in which case the holes are to be drilled out and tapped with a 5/8-18 USS tap, the plug screwed in place, cut off, drilled and tapped to 7/16-24 USS threads.”

 

APR 4

Acc.575, Ford Archives

T520 starting crank handle changed from aluminum to cast iron.

 

APR 10

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

Front wheel hub modified to have bosses for speedometer gear. The old number (T232B) was specified for right or left for 1911-13, and the first 250,000 cars (in) 1914 and the new design (T7700) for the right-hand wheel after 250,000. This change did not appear in any of the parts books.
On April 14, 1914, this change was obsoleted and noted that it had never been used. Instead, all front hubs were made standard with the bosses and this then could be used on either side, with the modified part remaining T232B.

 

APR 21

Ford Archives

Engine 500,000 built at 10 A.M. Note: Ford is now “on track.” This was engine number 500,000.

 

MAY 2

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

Parts specified for “1915 coil unit.” These parts are the pieces that make up the coil itself, not the coil box. Part numbers ranged from T6740 to T6794.
T232B front hub again modified, removing the ribs specified earlier and replacing them with a shoulder in the form of a ring around the hub. This change was made at the request of the W.K. Pruden Wheel Company who made the hub castings. On May 22, another modification was made in the height of this collar.

 

MAY 5

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T7472 ratchet transmission band wrench noted. It was not new, being used in production under the part number 16Z-1411 which was a drawing number.

 

MAY 30

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T7609 universal joint housing noted as new design and that T70, the present design was to be used for repairs only. T70 is the housing on the “two-piece” driveshaft; T7609 is for the new “one-piece” type used from then on.

 

JUN 11

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T2654 front fender “peak” specified. A new design, this may have been the front lip (or bill) which appeared in 1914 before the 1915 models. (The 1913 and early 1914 fenders had no bill.)
Numerous changes were made in the front fenders and splash aprons at this time.

 

JUN 17

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T292 front radius rod ball cap spring. Specified that the spring be would left-hand instead of right-hand because when tightening the right-hand coils tend to unwind.

 

JUN 25

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T5929 cylinder plugs. Specified diameter of threads to be changed from 5/8 to .627-.628 so as to conform with standard taps.

 

JUL 15

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T240B hub cap. Specified that background be black enameled instead of oxidized.

 

JUL 17

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

Numerous changes in cylinder head dimensions. Reason for changes not given.

 

JUL 20

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

T5634 (new) magneto coil assembly (16 required) to be used after the first 250,000 1914 cars.

 

JUL 29

Acc. 1701, Box 2, Ford Archives

“We have called for the fillet with 1/8” radius at point where pedal connects with foot pad. Also removed letters and replaced pyramids with ridges running lengthwise of pad. This change was made to prevent feet from sliding off pedals and is to take place in all dies when they are being constructed at the present time, and on all other dies when they are being re-sunk. We wil, of course, use up the forgings which we have on hand.” (Joseph Galamb). Note: the actually change to the ribbed pedals came later in the year. The ribs were discontinued sometime after March 1915.

 

AUG 1

Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives

Prices: Touring, $490. Runabout, $440. Town Car, $690. Prices do not include a possible $40 to $60 rebate pending on the sale of 300,000 cars by August 1, 1915. Rebate to be made to the original purchasers of the cars only.

 

AUG12

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

Note that letters are to be removed from pedals to prevent slipping, and are to be replaced with ribs. The pedals on hand were to be used and apparently were for some time. The ribbed pedals were used in early 1915 (perhaps late 1914) but the smooth pedals were specified in March 1915.

 

AUG 26

Ford Archives

“Start one hole in center main bearing.”

 

AUG 28

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

“1915” rear axle parts described, “for all 1915 models.” This was to be the finalmajorrevision of the rear axle assembly.

 

SEP 4

Engine production records, Ford Archives

“New style coils” began with 572,437.

 

SEP 5

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

The steering gear assembly (the gear box under the steering wheel) revised to new one-piece design. Made of type “W” bronze.

 

SEP 14

Engine production records, Ford Archives

“Start 3/4-inch magnets with 578,042.”

 

SEP 19

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

Tube specified for headlight wire across lower part of radiator. To be made of defective radiator tubes. Old tube for gas lamps is to be discontinued. Holes are added in side walls of radiator and this new tube is to be put in place by spreading the radiator fins and is to then be soldered in place.

 

SEP 22

Acc. 575, Ford Archives

Note specifying that the spark/throttle quadrant is to be brass plated.

 

SEP 23

Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives

Sedan and Coupelet announced.

 

SEP 23

Acc. 833, Photo 1527, Ford Archives

Photo of 1915 Coupelet. Shows fork-mounted electric headlamps.

 

SEP 23

Acc. 833, Photo 1528, Ford Archives

Photo of same Coupelet, rear view, shows 1914 rear axle.

 

SEP 23

Acc. 833, Photo 1621, Ford Archives

Photo of 1915 Sedan. Fork-mounted headlamps and lantern-like side lamp. Curved front and rear fenders.

 

SEP 23

Acc. 833, Photo 1546, Ford Archives

Photo of 1915 Sedan with gas headlamps.

 

SEP 23

Acc. 833, Photo 1470, Ford Archives

Photo of 1915-style Touring with odd post-mounted electric headlamps, no louvers in the hood, brass steering wheel spider and 1914-type steering gear box.

 

SEP 23

Acc. 833, Photo 1633, Ford Archives

Photo of 1915 Touring, now with louvered hood.

 

OCT 12

Ford Archives

All motors used new coils and 3/4-inch magnets. The new magneto began with #578,042. (Engine production records show 572,437, September 4, which is believed to be the correct number.)

 

NOV 2

Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives

Prices of Sedan, $565. Coupelet, $340.

 

DEC 12

Acc. 1701, Model T Drawings, Ford Archives

Malleable iron rear tail light/license bracket design for 1915 models. This bracket is of a two-piece design so that the same parts could be used on either right or left-hand drive cars by reversing the license plate support. The two parts were f/n T-7471 and T-7259.

 

DEC 19

Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives

Longer intake manifold announced for Sedans.

 

DEC 24

Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives

Longer intake manifold announced December 19 to be discontinued in favor of the use of the Kingston carburetor which has better fuel flow (sedans only).

 

DEC 31

Factory Letter, Ford Archives

“All sedans equipped with Kingston carburetors because of better fuel flow. 5/16-inch pipe recommended.” The longer intake manifolds were furnished as a field modification.